TRAVEL INSURANCE ‘HOT TIPS’
1. WORK WITH YOUR AGENT
- Plan out a fun, relaxing or adventurous trip with not only your travel agent but also a travel insurance agent. Ask a lot of questions:
- What are you covered for? Will it cover my parasailing at the resort?
- Do you need travel insurance while in another province?
- Will my credit card or will work cover any medical or travel expenses?
2. YOUR MEDICAL MANAGEMENT
Know and understand your recent health and/or medications as part of the travel plans. Work with your health care provider before purchasing any insurance.
- Note that a minor change in someone’s prescription or medication can mean that the medical condition is not considered ‘stable.'”
- Work insurance companies who cover people if their medical conditions are under control and stable for certain period
We all know the top reasons for denied claims are medical non-disclosure and misrepresentation about pre-existing conditions that are not stable.
You may be shying away from purchasing insurance but it can be a valued investment to a successful trip. Hospital and medical support can be confusing to navigate in another country, in some cases the final bill could leave you will a trip of financial disaster.
3. TRAVEL COMBOS
A reminder trip cancellation and travel health insurance are two distinct services.
A trip cancellation or interruption insurance covers pre-paid non-refundable expenses should your travel plans be interrupted or cancelled.
Travel insurance is generally sold as product packages or combinations of different types of insurance. For example a comprehensive package covers trip cancellation and interruption, evacuation, medical and baggage, even flight insurance. Ask if there are incentives to upgrade to all or just the type selected.